1. Courtney Cox was originally offered the role of Rachel, but turned it down after reading Monica’s part. Jon Cryer was approached to play Chandler.
2. Alternate titles for the show included “Insomnia Cafe”, “Six of One”, and “Across the Hall”.
3. When the series began, Monica and Rachel’s apartment was #5 and Chandler and Joey lived in #4. Later on, the numbers were changed to 19 and 20 to reflect the higher floors they lived on.
4. The part of Gunther was not originally a speaking role. It was awarded to James Michael Tyler because he was the only one auditioning who could operate a cappuccino machine.
5. Bruce Willis appeared in his first episode without being paid, because he lost a bet with Matthew Perry.
6. Ross and Monica’s pediatrician was named Dr. Gettleman, the same name as the pediatrician on “I Love Lucy”.
7. Chandler Bing’s middle name is “Muriel”, and Ross Geller’s middle name is “Eustace”.
8. All of the episode titles for the series begin with “The One …”, except the premiere (“The Pilot”) and the finale (“The Last One”).
9. The scene in the opening credits was filmed at 4am in LA. The fountain water was heated to keep the cast from shivering.
10. All six main cast members were paid the same amount for each of the ten seasons the show was on the air. They started out at $22,500 per episode, and when they finished were up to a million each per episode.