Sue asked if there are plants that are dangerous to dogs. She has gotten a new puppy and wants it to be safe.
I have had pet dogs for over a 30-year span and never had any problems with puppies or dogs eating or chewing plants. The closest I came to a real concern was when two sisters, as puppies, found some mice poison under the stove. The vet ran over and gave them both vitamin K, and they were fine.
My mom had an issue with her dog eating an Elephant Ear leaf and took her dog to the vet as a precaution. There are common houseplants that can be toxic for dogs.
Aloe Vera is a common houseplant that is perfectly safe for people, but if consumed by dogs can cause stomach upset and vomiting.
Dumbcane or Dieffenbachia is a tall plant with beautiful variegated leaves. It is often grown for its lush leaves and tropical look. If chewed or consumed, it is dangerous to both people and dogs. It causes irritation in the mouth and can cause the throat to swell and inhibit breathing.
Peace Lily or Spathiphyllum is a very popular easy to grow houseplant because it will tolerate and bloom in low light. It can cause mouth irritation and vomiting if chewed or eaten.
The ZZ plant has become very popular in the last few years. It is less toxic than many plants but can still cause mouth irritation, and burning of the mouth, throat and tongue.
Dracaena is a very popular, easy to grow houseplant and can do well in low light. If consumed, it can cause vomiting with blood, lack of appetite, and excessive drooling.
Even common, seeming less dangerous plants like ivy and geraniums can bring on vomiting and stomach upset.
These are only a few common houseplants, if chewed or consumed, that can cause health issues with a beloved pet. It is important to train them to stay away from your plants. If you discover they have chewed or consumed a houseplant, it is always wise to contact your vet for information and advice!
Image by Markus Wittmann