National Heart month from a local point of view

Share this Dimple Times Article

CIRCLEVILLE – As you may have heard, February is National Heart month. Approximately, 800,000 people die each year from heart disease and over a million people will suffer a heart attack/ stroke in North America. This month is a reminder to go see your doctor and get a physical. It’s one of those things we each should do but often forget. What you do or don’t do could change your life.

 

National Heart month from a local point of view

Chatting with Mark Sandy of Circleville, Ohio about "Heart Month" and what it means to him. Thanks to JoyHouse Coffee for allowing us to take up a couple of tables. Be sure to visit Mark's website at HeartofMark.com#HeartMonth #LVADStrong #ValentinesDay #HeartsMatterRead more on Dimple Times here: https://dimpletimes.com/2020/02/13/national-heart-month-from-a-local-point-of-view/

Posted by Dimple Times on Friday, February 14, 2020

 

Heart issues can happen to anyone, at any age, but we recently sat down with Mark Sandy of Circleville to find out about his experience. Mark explained, “I was a healthy 44-year old man when I suffered a major heart attack, which lead to a mobile life support device called an LVAD”. “The LVAD (left ventricular assist device)”, he continued, “is an electric heart pump that was implanted next to my heart and kept me alive for 6 years, allowing me time to finally get the call for a heart transplant. I never thought it could happen to me and I’m now going on two years with my donor heart.”

Thanks to a generous heart donor that said “yes” on their drivers license, Mark’s life was saved. He explained, “Many people don’t understand what being a donor really is or how it can save someone else’s life.” According to DonateLife.net, “Heart transplants are performed when there are no other treatments available for an individual in heart failure.” The heart may come from someone who was in a car accident or lost their lives unexpectedly. According to DonateLife.net when “you become an organ, eye, and tissue donor, you can make a difference in the lives of more than 75 people.” Unfortunately only 1% of all deaths are brain related which means that the other 99% are hearts that can’t be used.





External advertisement


You can find details about becoming a donor on Mark’s website www.heartofmark.com. Mark explains that he, “created the website to inform, bring hope and a sense of solidarity to those who suffer from heart disease.” While his website is still growing he admits that “it’s not just about my heart, but the heart of our community. You can read my entire story, my faith, medical science and maybe even join me in future projects that I am involved in.”

Thanks to Mark’s donor saying yes, Mark says he has not only a new heart, “but I now have the opportunity to watch my son grow, to become a grandparent, live many years with my wife and to just enjoy my life again.”





External advertisement