DEAR PAW’S CORNER: Please remind your readers of how important it is to keep their pets away from holiday foods. Some foods, like chocolate, can be deadly poisonous to dogs, while rich foods and ingredients like onions or raisins can be dangerous for cats and dogs. — Jessica in New Jersey
DEAR JESSICA: You told them, and thank you! The holiday season, with plenty of parties, family and food, can be hectic for everyone, but it’s important to monitor pets and make sure they’re kept away from potentially harmful items.
Many foods, not just chocolate but onions, grapes and raisins, nuts, avocados and other holiday foods can cause house pets great harm. Store them well out of reach, and keep pets out of the kitchen when cooking and away from serving tables. A more extensive list of common foods that can be poisonous to pets is available from the Humane Society of the United States (www.humanesociety.org).
Christmas tree ornaments also can potentially be harmful. Cats love knocking down glass ornaments and may accidentally ingest tinsel or other shiny strands. Dogs may gnaw on interesting packages or break into gift boxes of candy or fruit.
Even plants need to be kept out of reach: poinsettias, for example, are toxic to cats.
To minimize risk, place breakable ornaments higher on the tree and put plants well out of reach. During parties or dinners, place your pets in a separate area of the house with bedding, food and water, and check on them occasionally. (This also is helpful in keeping pets’ stress levels down.)
Send your tips, comments and questions to [email protected]
(c) 2021 King Features Synd., Inc.
Image by Myshun